In the past I dabbled with soap-making and it was a lot of fun. For Christmas one year I made bath gift baskets with custom soaps for everyone I know. Please, don't let me fool you into thinking that I'm going through the whole lye and ash process because I'm just a bit too lazy for that. I find melt and pour soap making perfectly satisfying in the flexibility and variety that it offers.

The reason the adventure is going to be different this time is because I am currently living on a tiny island in the Pacific. We have no supplies here, my only hope for getting supplies is through the US Postal Service. The minimum wait time is two weeks and it could possibly take longer. But I've been extremely inspired as of late and I even dug out the smattering of supplies that I dragged 6000+ miles from Montana when I moved here a year and a half ago.

My main focus is going to be kitchen soaps to start with. I have many ideas for food inspired mixtures like lime and cilantro, lemon zest, pink grapefruit, etc. Pumpkin has always been a passion for me, maybe I'll make it my specialty and try to perfect it into something really awesome! We shall see! Given my current location, island soaps with pineapple, coconut and other exotic scents and designs will definitely be in order.

0 comments